Thursday, September 3, 2015

Pumpkin, I mean, Butternut Squash Cookies

Are you dreaming of crisp autumn air, colored leaves, apples, hayrides, and pumpkin pie?

I'm not! Autumn is such a tease, because before you know it, gray guy winter is here to steal your breath and make your nose drippy and cold. It makes you have the most icicle-like toes you can find on this side of the Mississippi. Frozen car windows and doors. Oh, Pennsylvania!

The only part of autumn that I enjoy is pulling out my blazers and riding boots. Perhaps a pile of leaves to frolic in and maybe even some hot cider. Jack-o-lanterns! Okay, okay, I do like autumn, I'm just not ready for it yet.

Due to an overabundance of butternut squash from one of my coworkers, I've been on a squash baking frenzy.

I was trying to do some research into butternut squash recipes. I hadn't made much with them before other than toast toppings, soups, and mashed side dishes. A salad or two. My go-to orange veggie has always been sweet potatoes. The trick to finding 'butternut squash recipes' is to look for 'pumpkin recipes.' They work the same and taste so similar in the recipes, no one will know. Lovely! Cooking cheat codes!

Pumpkin, I mean, Butternut Squash Cookies

2 cups flour (half whole wheat, half white cake flour)
1 tsp baking soda
1 pinch salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1/3 cup apple sauce
3 tbsp maple syrup
1 cup cooked, mashed butternut squash* (about 3/4 of 1 half roasted squash)
1 tsp vanilla
Mix-ins: 1 cup oats, 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, 2 tbsp chia seeds (use what you like!)


Preheat oven to 350. Spray cookie sheets.
In the dry ingredient bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice.
In the wet ingredient bowl, mix sugar, oil, apple sauce, maple syrup, squash, and vanilla.
Add the dry guys to the wet guys, Add mix-ins.
Spoon batter lumps onto cookie sheets. Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool!

*To make your own mashed squash:
Preheat oven to 350. Cut butternut squash in half, length wise. Scoop out seeds and guts. Place foil on a cookie sheet, place squash cut side down on top. Fold up foil edges slightly to contain the squash halves. Poke a few holes in the skin, and pour a little water under the squash bellies. Bake for 45 minutes. Flip them over and let cool. Scoop out the delish flesh and mash away!



My coworkers loved these! The surprise chocolate chip every now and then was a great reason to keep eating them all!

To get the original version, check out Bite Club Eats.

xoxo Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment