Friday, February 19, 2016

Pumpkin Custard Crumble

Every pantry item has a story.

There is always that one random can or bottle of something in your pantry that you know exists but never gets used. You should find that lonely food container and put it to use my friends!

Mine was a can of pumpkin puree that my roommate had neglected to use and passed over to me.

It sat on my shelf for a long time, but I knew that one day I would have a craving for something slightly sweet and pumpkiny and that can would be on hand!

Pumpkin Custard Crumble

1 can pumpkin puree
3 tbsp dark brown sugar
3 eggs
1/2 rolled oats
1/2 cup pecans
2 tbsp candied ginger
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 pinch salt

Topping: Crumble
2 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp dark brown sugar
1/2 cup minced pecans (I used the food processor)
1/2 cup granola (I used pumpkin seed flax granola)

Preheat oven to 350. Coat a 9" pie plate with cooking spray.
Plop the pumpkin puree in a bowl. In a blender, blend the brown sugar, eggs, oats, pecans, candied ginger, vanilla, allspice, cinnamon, ginger, and salt until smooth. Add to the pumpkin and mix well. Pour into the pie plate.
For the topping, mix the melted butter, brown sugar, pecans, and granola. Sprinkle over the top of the pumpkin mixture and bake for 45 minutes. The crumble is done when the middle of the custard is set up. Serve warm or cold with a bit of whipped cream! Delish!


I was inspired by my love for Nutty Cakes and this recipe ended up being gluten free too!

xoxo Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment