Saturday, August 15, 2015

BBCK Mex Soup

Happy Saturday Friends!

It's a hot day here in the city, so naturally I wanted a spicy, hot Tex Mex soup. Because, as most of you know, I am not a 'normal' human. Proud to be wacky.

My perfect Saturday mornings include- sitting in bed, eating bowls of cereal with fruit, and watching all of the cooking shows that I can cram into my morning before I have to go do real things. Normally, cooking shows inspire my creative kitchen experiments.

A lot of the shows today featured Mexican inspired foods, so I started thinking about the foods I have on hand and produce that I purchased at the farmer's market down the street...

And BBCK Mex Soup was born.

BBCK Mex Soup 
(Black Bean, Corn, & Kale)

olive oil
1/2 onion (diced)
3 garlic cloves (minced)
2 peppers (1 bell, 1 cubanelle)
1/4 cup random mushrooms (diced)
1 cup cherry tomatoes (cut in fourths or sixes)
2 cups tomatillos (chopped)
2 chilis in Adobo (I keep mine in the freezer for such occasions)
3 cups veggie broth
3 cups water
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp taco seasoning
1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 ear of corn (kernels shaved)
2-3 cups kale (ribs removed and shaved)
Toppings of your choice: Greek yogurt (sour cream), cheese, cilantro, lime wedge, tortilla chips, etc.


In your favorite soup pot, sauté the onions, garlic, and peppers with olive oil. Add mushrooms. Add the tomatoes and tomatillos. Add 2 chilis in Adobo, 2 cups of veggie broth, 2 cups of water, and the spices. Bring to a simmer. Let simmer 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and let the soup cool. (I was impatient and did not wait, but you probably should.) Use an immersion blender to blend the soup to a smoother consistency. Return to the heat. Add last cups of water and broth.
Add black beans, corn, and kale. Heat until kale becomes softer and beans/ corn heat through.

I topped mine with shredded cheddar, cilantro leaves, and tortilla chips. Use what you have on hand to make your own version! I'd love to hear what you changed!



Man, I love soup. Its always like a hug from your best friend.

xoxo Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment