Friday, August 26, 2016

Pickled AF Salad

I receive a box of over stock/ blemished fruits and veggies each week from Hungry Harvest. If I don't eat everything before the next box comes, I feel like a real jag! So I try to do my best.

I had cucumbers, kale, and broccoli at the end of the box this week. A weird combo? Yes! Was I scared? Hell no!

Since I have an affinity for pickles, I decided to quick pickle the whole lot of it into a pretty cool, (well actually warm) crunchy salad.

Pickled AF Salad
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
2 medium cucumbers, washed, peeled, sliced very thinly or spiralized
1 broccoli crown, cut into florets, tender stems cut thinly
3 cups kale, sliced as thinly as possible
salt & pepper to taste along the way

In a skillet, heat the sugar, vinegars, water, and salt until dissolved. In a medium sized bowl, toss the cucumbers with the warm vinegar mixture. Sprinkle with a little ground black pepper. Set aside.
In the same skillet, add a little oil and sauté the broccoli for a few minutes over medium heat. Season with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Cover with a lid so the florets steam/ slightly brown for a few more minutes. No soggy broccoli please! Add to the cucumbers.
Again in your skillet, add a little more oil. Sauté the kale the same way as the broccoli and season with salt and black pepper. Add to the cucumbers and broccoli. Toss it all together and serve!
Yes, it totally sounds weird, but this salad is so delicious! You have to try it out. 


A big thank you to Magda over at DIYontheside for my new favorite kitchen gadget, a spiralizer!! Check out her lovely new house and blog about it! :)

xoxo Sam

1 comment: